Birds (latin Aves) is a specialised class of superior vertebral animals. They are biped warm-blooded vertebral oviparous animals, characteristic by feathered body, front limbs converted into wings, toothless rostrum, and air-filled bones.
The first exhibits that laid the foundations for the whole collection were stuffed birds made by Leonardas Ivanauskas, the father of Prof. Tadas Ivanauskas, in 1859, which have been brought from his Lebiodka manor house. They are still exhibited at the museum.
About 10 % of the collection is exposed in the hall: more than 1100 taxidermies of birds and eggs, arranged in semantic order. There are 24 biogroups installed. It is possible to spot already historic value possessing taxidermies of birds in the exposition – Pallas’s sandgrouse (produced in 1859), which is the oldest showpiece in museum, as well as Eurasian pygmy owl, willow grouse, red-necked grebe, red-throated diver (all of them produced in 1861).
It is possible to find endangered birds, as well, as listed in IUCN Red List of Threatened Species in the exposition: little spotted kiwi (Apteryx owenii), northern bald ibis (Geronticus eremite), Steller’s sea eagle (Haliaeetus pelagicus), Reeves’s pheasant (Syrmaticus reevesii), sociable lapwing (Vanellus gregarius), and many others.
The exposition of birds in the hall contains valuable works from taxidermal point of view: black stork (Ciconia nigra), black kite (Milvus migrans), common ringed plover (Charadrius hiaticula), Sabine’s gull (Xema sabini), red-throated thrush (Turdus ruficollis), Eurasian wren (Troglodytes troglodytes), as well as taxidermies of other birds.